Monday, July 4, 2011

So this is what madness feels like.

I was watching TV the other night, minding my own business, when a commercial came on and I was suddenly inspired. I suddenly had this entire new world forming in my mind. So, in the middle of the night, by the light of the TV I grabbed the closest paper and pen that I could find (a sharpie marker and post it notes) and began to jot down ideas and a very rough map of this new world.

And now I am completely focussed on this new world. I had no plot, no characters, nothing but a badly drawn map and a thousand ideas for this new civilization.

Last night I set to work redrawing the map, and as I was doing that the main character stepped up behind me and tapped me on the shoulder. She basically said here I am and here's your plot. (yes I know exactly how crazy this all sounds)

Suddenly I began to realize who my characters were and the plot began to take shape. More notes, maps and character information started filling up the notebook I was sketching in. I now have a dozen pages of information on this new world that was created because of a ridiculous TV commercial.

Though I have to say, I am ridiculously excited by this plot and these characters. I am planning on starting to write some of it today. I have a thousand other things I should be writing but this one has all of my attention at the moment. So I am going with it.

What's the weirdest place you've gotten inspiration from?

No comments:

Post a Comment